MSN Business Directory Can I Drive my Motor Trade Insured Vehicle for Personal Use? |


Can I Drive my Motor Trade Insured Vehicle for Personal Use?

Motor traders frequently ask whether they can use their vehicles for personal reasons.

The answer is yes and no.

If you’ve taken out a motor trade insurance policy, it only provides valid cover for your vehicles while they are being used for motor trade activities.

That means if you use your vehicle to do your weekly shop or take the kids to school, you’ll be invalidating your insurance policy and effectively driving without insurance.

To avoid such a situation, you can extend your motor trade insurance policy to include personal use. This involves contacting your insurance broker, explaining exactly what you need to use your vehicle for and they will tailor your policy to suit these needs.

If you need to, you can even add your spouse to your policy.

Personal use for part-time motor traders

Part-time motor traders are particularly likely to need to use their vehicles for personal reasons – or even other business reasons.

But if they do so without notifying their insurer, their policy will be invalid.

That’s why many insurance providers offer special policies for part-time motor traders whose needs will be different and more specific to those of full-time motor traders.

With Insure Motor Trade, for example, you can create the perfect policy for you to make sure that no area of your part-time business is left unprotected – even while you’re using your vehicle for personal reasons.

Adding additional drivers to your policy

Sometimes adding personal use to your policy is not enough. In some cases, your partner or spouse will also need to drive the vehicle you use for work. Perhaps it doubles up as your work car and family car.

In this case, you need to ask your insurer to add an additional driver to the policy.

Don’t assume that anyone can drive a vehicle that is covered by a motor trade insurance policy – they can’t. Only named drivers have permission to drive it so if an unnamed driver gets behind the wheel, they won’t be insured.

Contact your insurer, however, and they will be able to adapt your policy to the number of people who need to drive it.

How to add additional uses to your policy

Adding an additional vehicle use to your insurance policy is as simple as giving your insurance provider a call.

At Insure Motor Trade we have over 20 years’ finding the perfect policies for our customers and we’ll be able to expertly advise you what type of cover you require for your additional needs.

If your situation changes after you have already taken out an insurance policy, give us a call and one of our insurance advisors will be able to make the relevant changes to your policy.

However, it is important to be aware that making changes to your policy can cause your premium to increase.

Discuss this with your insurance advisor and if you have any questions at any stage, give us a call on 0844 931 2020.

May 4, 2014