MSN Business Directory Can I drive a car I don't own using Roads Risks insurance?


Can I drive a car I don’t own using Roads Risks insurance?

In the motor trade industry, you are likely to be left with client’s cars to service or manage.

If you work in garage where customers drive their vehicles in and out, questions about insurance will rarely come up, but if you regularly have to collect and deliver vehicles, then you’ll want to ensure you meet the requirements set out under law, as well as have the peace of mind of knowing that the vehicle is covered in the event of an accident.

A motor trade roads risks policy solves these issues as it guarantees you will be covered to the at least the minimum standards needed. It also covers any vehicles you own yourself.

Unlike a private motor policy, motor trade cover does not require the insured person to specify their vehicle details such as value, registration data and engine size. It simply provides one all-encompassing policy, allowing you to drive almost any vehicles without having to understand multiple cover documents.

What is included in road risks insurance?

As mentioned above, cover from Insure Motor Trade permits you to drive vehicles belonging to clients as well as your own under one easy to understand policy.

However, you can take extra peace of mind from knowing a policy also covers trade vehicles. If you operate a car lot or showroom, then you’ll probably need to drive vehicles to other sites before they are ready to be sold. This may include taking them for repairs and merely for them to be valeted. Either way, you’d be covered while out on the road.

Anything else I need to be aware of?

As with any insurance policy, there are exclusions to motor trade road risks protection. It is important you understand these exclusions prior to taking out cover.

If your business is large and you have a number of staff members who drive customers’ cars, you will need to ensure that each of these employees is specified on the Certificate of Insurance.

Policy holders will only be covered for use of customer vehicles in the motor trade. For example, coverage would not apply in the event of borrowing a friend’s car.

It is also important to understand that not all vehicles will be covered.

How can Insure Motor Trade help me?

Insure Motor Trade will identify policies which meet your individual requirements. Quotes for comprehensive road risks packages can be draw up quickly and can be put in place at a time which suits the needs of your business.

Our advisers are on hand to discuss any queries or concerns you have. If you’re unsure about the type of cover you need (third party, third party fire and theft or comprehensive) then help is available.

By speaking to a member of Insure Motor Trade’s team, you can discuss excess options to suit you and look at any add-ons which can complement a policy. Contact us today!

If you like this post you may like:

February 2, 2014