MSN Business Directory Do I need an insurance Green Card necessary when driving abroad?


Do I need an insurance Green Card necessary when driving abroad?

If you’re going abroad with your vehicle, you’ll need to know that you’re fully insured to do so.

Naturally all drivers leaving the UK for abroad will need to have, and bring with them, a full driving licence.

However, it can also be the case that some people who are intending to drive their vehicle abroad will have to obtain some further documentation so that they’re in compliance with different countries’ laws and regulations.

International Driving Permit

In some countries, for instance, a full UK driving licence may not be enough to allow you to legally drive on the roads. In addition to it, you may also be required to have an International Driving Permit.

It’s a good idea to have one anyway while you’re driving abroad, as you never know when you might have to drive into a country that requires an International Driving Permit.

Getting one is easy. Just fill out a form at your local post office and pay a fee of only £5.50. The permit is valid for one year, and its validity date can be delayed for up to three months, to facilitate travel abroad.

Insurance proof

Additionally, some European countries and those beyond Europe’s borders will require drivers to get a Green Card before they travel. This is proof to the authorities of every country in Europe as well as others that the driver has at least the minimum amount of insurance coverage for their vehicle and are therefore permitted to drive on the countries’ roads.

If you don’t have a Green Card and are wondering how to get one, all you need to do is contact your insurance company. If you’re frequently driving abroad and don’t have a one, thinking you don’t need one, it’s advisable to discuss it with your insurance company to be sure because some countries will not allow you to cross the border without one.

No requirement

International registration and regulations state that a Green Card is not necessary when crossing from one country to another in the European Union. This is also true for some countries that are not members of the EU, namely Andorra, Iceland, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland (incorporating Liechtenstein).

It’s still advisable to contact your insurance company before travelling and ensure that you’re fully covered in any eventuality. In some instances while on the road, you might be able to buy additional insurance at various borders. But don’t leave yourself open to costly surprises: check before leaving to see what kind of insurance coverage is required where.

If you’d like further clarification on this, give us a call on 0844 931 2020.

May 29, 2014